Thursday, February 13, 2014

Shirley Temple (Recipe)

A Favorite of Katie-Bar-The-Door's growing up, the Shirley Temple is a pretty easy drink to make:

ginger ale
a splash of grenadine
maraschino cherry
ice

Katie tells me the schmancy Main Line country club she hung out in made it with 7-Up instead of ginger ale, a common substitution. I've read a squeeze of fresh lime tarts it up a bit, but I wouldn't know, I've never had one myself—I was too busy digging ditches.


For those of you who prefer stronger stuff, a grown-up, married version of the drink called a Shirley Temple Black uses alcoholic ginger beer.

If I can find a recipe for a Jackie Coogan or a Margaret O'Brien, I'll let you know.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Country club? Country club? Pfooey! It was the Merion Golf Club, home to the 2013 U.S. Open!

mister muleboy said...

Country club? Country club? Pfooey!

That's what all the main Liners say. . . .

Mythical Monkey said...

Katie-Bar-the-Door is sort of a cross between Katharine Hepburn and Lee Marvin ...